Monday, February 14, 2011

Coconut Curry Shrimp


Photo courtesy of http://www.foodgal.com/2009/01/a-tangy-spicy-shrimp-curry-to-usher-in-2009/
 I finally made it to the kitchen!  Sorry for my lack of posts recently. Life can be crazy and my creative time in the kitchen is paying for it.  I found myself in a pinch last night...forgot to thaw any meat and as I've stated before I'm afraid of the defrost setting on the microwave.  I did have shrimp in the freezer and they thaw in a flash, so shrimp is what we had!  I took the foundation of this recipe from Allrecipes.com and altered it to make it Paleo-friendly. I hope you enjoy!

Coconut Curry Shrimp

Ingredients:

1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1/2 cup Onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
1 tsp Ground Cumin
3/4 tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup Coconut Milk (From can. I prefer Thai Kitchen brand)
1 tsp Controversial Paleo Sweetener (I was out of honey, so used Maple Syrup)
1 tsp Arrowroot Powder
1 TBSP cool Water

Method:

Heat oil in large, nonstick pan over medium heat. Saute onion, red pepper, and garlic until vegetables soften (onions are transparent), or about 3 minutes.

Season with cumin, coriander, and curry powder.  Cook for 1 more minute. Stir in coconut milk, sweetener, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.

Stir in shrimp and increase heat to medium high.  Cook and stir until shrimp is fully cooked, about 4 minutes.

In a small bowl or cup, combine arrowroot powder and water. Mix thoroughly then stir into shrimp mixture and continue to stir until sauce thickens, about 1 minute.

Serve over Curry "Rice"

No comments:

Post a Comment