Monday, November 21, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Squash, and Cranberries

Why helloooooo!!!!  I will admit, I've fully departed from my recipe blog duties.  It's not that I've lost passion for the food (ahem---that will NEVER happen!!), but I really haven't spent much time in the kitchen lately.  I've officially fallen into the groove of eating the same five meals over and over and over again (and a cookie, brownie, ice cream, or 10, here and there).  Well, I'm getting sick of it and 'tis the season for delicious edibles.  We are having a few guests for Thanksgiving this year so in true Jen fashion, I'm taking recipes for a test drive to make sure they aren't an epic failure before I try to feed others.  I made this recipe last night and it is AMAZING!!!  This will be added to my list of faves.  If you don't like brussel's sprouts, shame on you. 


Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Squash, and Cranberries

by Ruth Sakya
Ruth’s Note:  This recipe represents so much of who I’ve become – not only a change in the ingredients, but how I respect and treat the food.  It features two veggies I used to avoid like the plague:  Brussels sprouts and squash.  I now think squash is sweet…when did this happen?
Ingredients:

1 butternut squash
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
 2/3 to 1 cup duck fat (melted), or other appropriate fat of your choice (I, Jen Woodmansee, used butter; from a grass-fed cow, of course)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.   Remove skin, membrane, and seeds (reserve for future use) from squash.  Cut squash into cubes.  Trim and halve Brussels sprouts. Combine squash, sprouts, and cranberries in a large baking dish (or split into two if you don’t have a really large pan).  Sprinkle salt on top and then add duck fat.  Stir to combine. Place baking dish in the oven for 25 minutes or until the veggies are beginning to brown, stirring once or twice.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and cook another 25-30 minutes until the veggies (especially the brussels sprouts) are cooked to desired tenderness.  Serve warm and enjoy!
Roasted Brussels sprouts, squash and cranberries

No comments:

Post a Comment