Sunday, February 12, 2012

Enchilado de Camerones

Have I told you I don't like green bell peppers?  I call them food polluters.  I think they steal the flavor from almost any dish they're in and make every other ingredient taste like green peppers.  That said, if I am making a recipe for the first time and it contains green peppers, I bite my tongue and add them in just to have respect for said recipe writer.  This dish has green bell peppers and, here it comes, I wouldn't omit them in the future!  So, grab your shrimp and your green peppers and let's do a salsa dance because this Cuban dish is excellente! And btw...it's even better the next day!

Enchilado de Camerones

Ingredients:

1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp)
1 can diced tomatoes, juices included (I like Muir Glen brand, no salt added)
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen brand, full fat)
Cilantro as garnish (optional)

Method:

Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion; saute 2 minutes.  Add bell peppers, crushed red pepper, salt, and garlic; saute 4 minutes.  Add tomatoes; cook about 6 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Stir frequently.

Stir in shrimp and cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.  Remove mixture from heat and stir in coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment