Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bacon Broccoli Salad

I have a whole mess of recipes to post.  I've been cooking, a lot, but haven't had the time to get on here and share them.  I will try to get caught up and get some of the recipes posted ASAP!

This broccoli recipe is delicious...Rex and Glenn Frank gave it to me and I've made it over and over for potlucks and bbq's and always get compliments.  I am paleo-zoning, so my posted recipes will also have zone blocks calculated.

Bacon Broccoli Salad

Ingredients

1 cup homemade mayonnaise (recipe below)
2-3 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup
1-3 TBSP unfiltered apple cider vinegar
10 slices cooked bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 pounds fresh broccoli (about 8-10 cups), cut into small florets
1 cup nuts, chopped (I use a combo of pecans, almonds, walnuts)
1/2 cup assorted raisins or dried fruit (I buy a berry blend)

Method:

Combine mayonnaise, honey, and vinegar in large bowl.

Add bacon, broccoli, nuts, and dried fruit and mix until evenly distributed.

Salad is best if allowed to marinate in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.  Serve cold. 

EACH 1 CUP SERVING = 1 PROTEIN, 6 FAT, 2.5 CARB

Paleo Mayonnaise

1 whole egg
2-3 TBSP cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Dash of paprika
Pinch of salt
3/4 - 1 cup pure olive oil

Method

Place egg, vinegar, mustard, paprika, and salt in small to medium bowl.  Measure 1 cup oil into container with good pouring lip.  Whisk or blend the egg mixture for 10 seconds.  While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle oil into the container in a thin, steady stream (no thicker than pencil lead).

NOTE: This mayonnaise will not be as thick as traditional mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment