Monday, November 5, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin Banana Bread

This recipe follows Whole 30 Guidelines folks, so gobble up!  I made pumpkin bars from the recipe I posted a couple of years back.  At the time I thought they were God's gift to my taste buds, but my idea of clean eating was distorted at the time and still contained copious amounts of sugar in the form of honey.  Now...don't get me wrong. I still indulge with honey here and there, but not enough to categorize it with it's own food group any more.  Long story short, this time they tasted awful to me; way too sweet.  When I discovered it was the flavor of the pumpkin I was craving and not the sugar (said discovery came about once I realized I had consumed half a cup of pureed pumkin directly from the can with a large serving spoon in.my.face), I decided to come up with a recipe sans sugar. 

If you're looking for sweet, you won't like this. So, have the expectation of a dense, robust, pumkin and spice loaf.  I would serve this warmed with a half gallon of honey over the top (ha, just kidding)your morning coffee tea or, if you're not doing your Whole 30, a spread of Kerrigold Grassfed Butter (super yum).  I made it just to go with my Perfect Paleo Chili and it was a magical combination.


I'm sorry this is such a grody picture.  It looked way better on my iPhone.  The loaf does not actually resemble excrement.
 
Paleo Pumkin Banana Bread

Ingredients:
2 bananas, very ripe
1 c pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 TBSP vanilla extract
2 c almond flour (I used almond meal, but I bet this would be better with blanched almond flour)
2 TBSP coconut flour
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 TBSP nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine all wet ingredients into food processor or blender.  Blend until there are no chunks.

Combine all dry ingredients medium bowl.  Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, mixing the whole time.

Grease 7.5 x 3.5 loaf pan.  Pour batter into pan evenly.  Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until you get a "bounce" not a "squish" when you press on the top center of the loaf.

Remove from oven and let cool 15+ minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment