Monday, November 5, 2012

Perfect Paleo Chili

I have been making chili for years and every time I make it, I change the recipe.  Why? Because I have yet to find the perfect recipe...until today.  I do believe this is the best chili I have ever made.  It is rich, hearty, and the most delicious combination of sweet and hot.

Warning: this is not a cheap batch of chili.  This recipe will cost you about $30 unless you have a super inexpensive lead on beef brisket.  It is, however, a large recipe; enough to feed the Linne family plus house guests (if you know them, that's a LOT).

Also, the recipe as written has a pretty good bite to it.  If you're averse to spicy hot things, I'd cut the cayenne pepper in half and work your way up to your desired spice.

But really...if you're going to make ANY of my recipes, make this one.  It's a keeper!



Perfect Paleo Chili

Ingredients:
4-5 lbs beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2" squares
1 lb thick cut bacon, diced
3 medium red onion, finely chopped [I threw them in the food processor bc I thought my arm was going to fall off after cutting up the brisket :-) ]
1 TBSP minced garlic
4 cups unfiltered apple juice (yes that's right, apple juice...just do it.)
3 - 4 oz cans diced green chilis (if you can't handle spice, reduce to 2 cans)
1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes with their juice
1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
1/3 cup chili powder
1 TBSP cayenne pepper (again, reduce if you're wimpy sensitive)
1 TBSP sea salt
1 TBSP ground black pepper
1 TBSP oregano
1 TBSP cumin
1/2 TBSP nutmeg
1 tsp coriander
1 oz bakers chocolate, unsweetend, finely grated (you know you want to...)

Method:
Heat large skillet over medium heat.  Fry bacon until about half done, then add onions and garlic.  Carmelize in bacon grease.  You may get some gooey, seemingly burnt schtuff; that's ok, just go with it.  Basically you want your onions to reduce down and your bacon to brown.  It took about 15-20 mins for me to accomplish this.

Place all other ingredients into a ginormous stock pot.  By "ginormous" I mean like a 12 quart, so really probably  not that huge, but I was feeling dramatic.  Anywho...after you have all the other ingredients in there, add the bacon mix and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 1.5-2 hours.

Reduce heat, yet again, to low for about the same amount of time.  Stir every 15 minutes or so if you can.  Your sauce should thicken and your chili should be a sultry red/brown color.  Oh...added bonus: your house will smell amazing.

*If you grew up eating chili served over corn bread, try serving this recipe over my Pumpkin Banana Bread (sounds weird, but I promise it's fantastic). 

No comments:

Post a Comment