Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies: semi-Paleo style

The boys asked if I would make them chocolate chip cookies today. This was a big stress point for me because I've been trying to clean up my eating a bit and I knew if I made them, I'd have to eat AT LEAST one.  So, I decided to try my hand at fabricating a close-to-Paleo version.  They turned out great!  Could they be better? Yes. Do I have some ideas for improving them? Of course.  But all in all, they are still scrumptious the way they are.  And, most importantly, the boys loved them!  

I am going to write the recipe as I made it, but will make suggestions for improvements/changes below.

Chocolate Chip Cookies: semi-Paleo style

Ingredients (Please see potential alterations/substitutions below)

1 1/2 C Almond Flour
1/4 C Coconut Flour 
2 Eggs
1/8 C Grapeseed Oil
1/8 C Almond Oil 
1/4 C Honey
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine all wet ingredients in small bowl.  Mix until well blended. 

Combine all dry ingredients in medium sized bowl.  

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix thoroughly.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop spoonfuls of dough on cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes.

Alterations/Substitutions:

I ran out of almond flour and grapeseed oil.  I believe you could use 1 3/4 C almond flour and omit the coconut flour.  You could also use all almond oil or grapeseed oil rather than a mix of the two.  I actually think this recipe would be even tastier having used all almond oil.  One could use olive oil, but the flavor is typically so overwhelming, it might taste a little too "mediterranean".  I also believe one could omit the baking soda, as these cookies didn't flatten at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment