Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Zesty Chicken Tacos

I have come to realization lately that I love to cook. Throw in a little challenge, like making the meal entirely Paleo, and I am in Nerd Heaven: it's like putting a logic puzzle together, but with food!

Our dear friend Tessa has expressed concern over her inability to spend time in the kitchen. While she would love to commit to eating Paleo foods, she struggles with the time and preparation required to do so. I told her that if she can get a good number of people in on ordering my paleo meals, I will quit my job and become a little paleo entrepreneur-ess!?! I will send out a weekly menu, folks can pick and choose which meals they want delivered throughout the week, I merrily cook and sip wine while doing so, and they maintain their diets without worrying about going to the store or preparing meals in advance. VOILA!

BUT...until Tessa comes up with that good number of people, I will just cook my little heart away and post my recipes right here for you to make yourselves. Not all of these recipes will be original, but if they are not, I will give credit where credit is due!

Which brings me to my first recipe - Courtesy of Jamie Kimberlin

Zesty Chicken Tacos

Ingredients:
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large yellow onion
1 jar Roberto's Green Chili Salsa
1-2 cups low sodium Chicken Broth
2 Adobo chilis
1 TBSP of Chipotle Tobasco
1 head Butter Lettuce
Avocado (optional)

Method:
Slice onion into 1/2 in rounds and lay in bed of crockpot. Add adobo chilis. Pour chicken broth over onions. Lay chicken breasts over bed of onions. Mix tobasco sauce in salsa. Pour salsa mixture over chicken. Turn crockpot to low and cook, covered for 8 hours. Or, if you are in a hurry, turn to high and frozen breasts can be done in 4 hours. Shred chicken with a fork.

Wash and dry lettuce leaves. Slice avocado. Place a few ounces of cooked chicken in leaves and top with avocado slices. DELISH!

***I made a milder version for my kiddos because they can't handle the heat; just omit the adobo chilis and the tobasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment